It’s time to get out that Old Bay, spread Sunday’s newspaper across the table, and invite the fam over... for some finger lickin’ good stone crab. Tampanians know, stone crab season creeps up every fall, beginning Oct. 15 and running through May.
Whether you want to celebrate at home or at a local restaurant, we’ve got you covered. Here are a few of our favorite spots to partake in the festivities:
- Key West Seafood Co., 1449 49th St. S., Gulfport | Located in Gulfport, this seafood market is a local fave. Pick up a medium size serving of crabs with three claws for $25, a large pack of four or five claws for $35, and a jumbo portion of six to eight claws for $45.
- Cox’s Seafood Market, 6821 N. Dale Mabry Hwy, Tampa | Medium size is seven to nine claws for $31.95, large is five to six claws for $41.95, jumbo is three to four claws for $52.95. And colossal is one or two claws for $59.95.
- Heights Seafood Co., 6421 N. Florida Ave., Tampa | This do-it-all spot sells large stone crab for $39 per pound + jumbo for $48 per pound. Pro tip: This spot allows offers dine-in options — piping hot stone crab, vegetables, and rice.
- Frenchy’s Stone Crab and Seafood Market, 501 Causeway Blvd., Dunedin | This seafood market sells medium-sized claws for $26.95, large for $39.95, jumbo for $46.95, and colossal for $49.95 per pound.
- Billy’s Stone Crab, 1 Collany Rd., Tierra Verde | Spend the day beach doggin’ at Fort de Soto, then head over to Billy’s for claws served with cold stone mustard or hot with real drawn butter.