Parents are relieved but emotional. Students are excited but sad to bid summer farewell. That can only mean one thing: it’s the first day back to school for Pinellas and Hillsborough County schools families.
You can find academic calendars and other information on each school’s website, and you can also take a look at our guide to 20+ area elementary, middle, and high schools.
Here’s what you should know ahead of the new school year. ✏️
- The Pinellas Suncoast Transit Authority offers free rides to students, teachers, or staff members of Pinellas County Schools — just display your school or employee ID badge to the PSTA Driver.
- The Hillsborough County Public Library offers a variety of online homework help resources, and the Pinellas Public Library Cooperative has fine-free library cards available to children and teens.
- Multiple Hillsborough County Schools will provide all students with free breakfast and lunch all year, thanks to the Community Eligibility Provision (CEP) program. See if your child attends one of the 174 CEP schools.
- Submit any back to school photos taken today for a chance to be featured on the Pinellas County School district’s social media pages.
- Check out these before and after-school programs with the City of Tampa and St. Petersburg Parks and Recreation.
Back to school events
- Back 2 School Bash | Saturday, Aug. 12 | 12-5 p.m. | Hillsborough County Fair, 215 Sydney Washer Rd., Tampa | Free | Celebrate the start of the school year with yard games, inflatables, hayrides, face painting, food trucks, and resources to help kids prepare for the school season.
- Back to School Skate | Saturday, Aug. 12 | 12-9:30 p.m. | Skate World Tampa, 7510 Paula Dr., Tampa | $11-$16 | Wear a school t-shirt for $2 off admission and enjoy café specials.
- The Kind Mouse Back to School Food Drive | Monday, Aug. 21-Friday, Sept. 8 | Times vary | Remote | Sign up for The Kind Mouse to bring empty bins to your home, office, or shop, and they’ll pick up the bins once they’re full.