This upcoming Monday, Sept. 4 is Labor Day — an annual federal holiday, first designated in 1894, that honors the contributions of workers in America. Looking for ways to spend the long weekend? We’ve got you covered. 👇
- Shepherd’s Labor Day Weekend | Friday, Sept. 1-Monday, Sept. 4 | Times vary | Shepherd’s, 619 S. Gulfview Blvd., Clearwater Beach | Free | Everyone is welcome to listen to the live music and DJs + enjoy the food this weekend.
- Labor Day Weekend Pizza 5k | Saturday, Sept. 2 | 9 a.m. | Start at Wings Etc., 3419 Alt. US 19, Palm Harbor | $44-$60 | Participants in this family-friendly race will receive a T-shirt + a free food sampler and beer at the post race trivia party.
- We Come to Laugh: Labor Day Double Header | Saturday, Sept. 2 | 7-10 p.m. | Friday Morning Musicale, 809 W. Horatio St., Tampa | $40-$50 | This double header comedy show features J. Anthony Brown.
- Willa’s Labor Day BBQ Block Party | Monday, Sept. 4 | 11 a.m.-4 p.m. | Willa’s, 1700 W. Fig St., Tampa | Free | Join this block party for barbecue, snow cones, live music, and drinks.
- Labor Day Beatdown | Monday, Sept. 4 | 4-9 p.m. | Crowbar, 1812 N. 17th St., Tampa | $10-$20 | Listen to live bands, R&B, and even poetry — this event is 18+.
- Labor Day Sunset Beach Cleanup | Monday, Sept. 4 | 6:30-8 p.m. | Treasure Island Municipal Beach, 11260 Gulf Blvd., Treasure Island | Free | Give back by helping clean up the beach after a long weekend.
Things to do
None of these events sound exciting to you? Try:
- Renting a day pass to enjoy one of these luxurious local hotel pools.
- Staying cool indoors at a local museum.
- Taking a road trip to a nearby town like Williston, Lakeland, or Miami.
- Checking out a restaurant that’s actually open on Mondays, since you have the time — double check holiday hours to be safe.