Maybe you have some extra time on your hands, or maybe you’re just in the giving spirit. All we know is there are more than enough great causes in Tampa Bay to support with your time. Whether you’re an animal lover, an artsy type, a natural mentor, or a healthcare enthusiast — there’s a nearby volunteer opportunity for you. Here are 20 ways to get involved in Tampa Bay.
Natural-born teachers and mentors
- YMCA of Greater St. Petersburg | Volunteers can coach a team, tutor kids, or assist with events.
- Pinellas Guardian ad Litem | It takes about 10-15 hours a month to become a Guardian ad Litem volunteer.
- We Care Family Connections | Volunteer in a foster home, and more.
- Guardian ad Litem Hillsborough County | Become a Volunteer Guardians ad Litem to a child in Tampa Bay.
If you’re a mental health advocate
- NAMI | Join the NAMI team and help families, friends, and individuals whose lives have been affected by mental illness.
- Crisis Center of Tampa Bay | Listen, support, and connect to people who could use a friend or community.
- The Life Center of the Suncoast | Help with counseling, events, and grief support groups.
If you’re an animal lover
- SPCA Tampa Bay | SPCA volunteers must be able to commit to three hours per week and complete online registration requirements.
- The Humane Society of Tampa Bay | Humane Society volunteers can help with in-taking and handling animals, the adoption process, education, special events, and more.
For the old souls
- Senior Connection Center | The Senior Connection Center provides a range of services to older adults.
- Seniors in Service of Tampa Bay Inc. | This organization helps place older adults in both in-person and remote volunteer opportunities.
For the handy individuals
- Habitat for Humanity Pinellas & West Pasco Counties | Help build a family’s forever home. First-time volunteers can also attend the a Nuts & Bolts orientation class every first Thursday of the month.
- Habitat for Humanity Hillsborough County | Volunteer on one of the organization’s construction sites or in its ReStore.
Supporters of veterans
- Supportive Services for Veterans Families | Help homeless veterans move into permanent housing and help veterans at risk of becoming homeless to get more stable housing.
- Tampa Hillsborough Homeless Initiative | Help make homelessness rare, brief, and non-recurring in Hillsborough County.
- 211 | This nonprofit helps vets find housing, navigate child care and benefits programs, and provide health and wellness services.
If you want to help your neighbors in need
- Meals on Wheels of Tampa | Typical volunteer delivery routes take about an hour and provide one of your neighbors with a hot meal + positive interaction.
- United Way Suncoast | United Way Suncoast offers a variety of ways to give back, from financial coaching to monthly engagement opportunities.
- Home Makers of Hope | This nonprofit provides essential household goods to families struggling with poverty. Volunteer for pickups, home visits, or warehouse duties or donate some of your household goods.
- St. Luke’s United Methodist Church | Each week, the Central Oak Park Church hosts a drive-thru food pantry. Bring dried goods or other foodstuffs to help keep your neighbors well-fed.