Table of Contents
Memorial Day is coming up this weekend and we’re ready to honor all the TBAY residents who have defended our country.
Whether you’re looking to get involved with the local veteran community or find a new way to celebrate, we’ve got you covered:
- Hiking with Heroes: Honoring Memorial Day | Friday, May 26 | 9-11 a.m. | Weedon Island Preserve Cultural and Natural History Center, 1800 Weedon Dr. NE, St. Petersburg | Free | Join fellow veterans and their families for a guided hike — remember to wear clothing or a hat showing your branch of service.
- 26th Annual Memorial Day Remembrance | Sunday, May 28 | 10 a.m. | Veterans Memorial Park, 3602 US 301 N., Tampa | Free | Hillsborough County’s annual celebration includes patriotic music, a fallen hero name reading of Garden of Gold flags, and a rifle salute.
- CrossFit9 Memorial Day Murph 2023 | Monday, May 29 | 8:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. | CrossFit9, 2727 6th Ave. S., St. Petersburg | $25 | Enjoy a CrossFit workout benefiting Signatures for Soldiers + a free drink at Bayboro Brewing Company.
- Memorial Day BBQ | Monday, May 29 | 11 a.m. | 2390 5th Ave. S., St. Petersburg | Free+ | Kick off the afternoon with a performance from Cross Junction, a raffle, a silent auction, and an art exhibition by No Good Deeds Art — veterans enjoy an open tab.
- Memorial Day Solemn Salute | Monday, May 29 | 6-7 p.m. | Crest Lake Park, 301 S. Glenwood Ave., Clearwater | Honor fallen soldiers with a salute + remarks from retired 12th Sergeant Major of the Army, Jack Tilly.
- Heavendropt, a Largo-based nonprofit, employs people with developmental disabilities and veterans with disabilities to repurpose military parachutes into drawstring bags, bracelets, and other products.
- Signatures for Soldiers raises money for programs like “Arts of Valor” so vets can take classes at the Morean Arts Center. You can check out and buy their work at Bayboro’s Memorial Day event.
- Operation Helping Hand of Tampa provides wounded or injured servicepeople’s families with gas gift cards, cellphones, and other everyday needs.