Table of Contents
Looking to meet your New Year’s resolution in Tampa Bay? From feeling fit to finding more family time, check out our local resolution recommendations below.
Spend time with family
- Glazer Children’s Museum | 110 W. Gasparilla Plaza | Located right in Downtown Tampa, Glazer Children’s Museum teaches kids about everything from clouds to healthcare.
- St. Pete Pier | 600 2nd Ave. NE, St. Petersburg | Spend a perfect Saturday at the community hub – with an inventive pirate ship playground, splash pad, live music, and snacks steps from each other.
- Chill Bros Scoop Shop | Locations vary | Check out one of the three trendy, Americana-Esque Tampa locations for locally inspired flavors + coke floats.
- Shuffle | 2612 N. Tampa St. | Call us shuffleboard fanatics. This Tampa Heights neighborhood joint is rockin’ with multiple shuffleboard lanes, brews, and eats, so fun you’ll have to drag the gang home.
- ZooTampa at Lowry Park | 1101 W. Sligh Ave. | Bring the kids on a Saturday to roam the 63-acre zoo or take in special events like painting with elephants.
Get involved in local policy
- Institute of Strategic Policy Solutions | 9200 113th St N.., Seminole | Founded by the late Congressman Bill Young, this bipartisan output of St. Petersburg College hosts discussions on everything from beach tourism to the business of art — and local political forums.
- City of St. Petersburg Boards & Committees | 175 5th St. N., St. Petersburg | The city is looking for members for Affordable Housing, Citizen Advisory Commission, the Community Planning and Preservation Commission, and others. Peruse the open committees and apply online.
- Hillsborough + Pinellas County Commission meetings | Virtual or in-person | Stay up-to-date on the happenings of Hillsborough or Pinellas by attending these monthly meetings. Leaders make decisions that impact local schools, housing, businesses, and more — and this is where you’ll hear about them first (and can make your voice heard).
Update your wardrobe
- Shoreline Sugars | 649 Central Ave., St. Petersburg | This Central Avenue shop has a range of boho and trendy pieces — so you can support a local business while testing a new style persona.
- Canvas Fashion Gallery | 1625 W. Snow Ave., Tampa | Located right in the heart of Hyde Park, this shop stocks classic and on-trend pieces from Paige Denim, Rails, Show Me Your Mumu, Cupcakes + Cashmere, Z Supply, and other popular brands.
- Penelope T | 3310 W. Bay to Bay Blvd., Tampa | Looking for statement pieces or high-quality basics? This South Tampa shop stocks luxe brands like Xirena, AGOLDE, and even glam accessories too.
- Grady Goat Foundation | 12551 Franklin Rd., Thonotosassa | Bring your yoga mat and enjoy a beautiful farm setting with over 30 friendly baby goats to assist you through your yoga moves. Guests are able to play with the goats.
- Tampa Riverwalk | Riverwalk, Tampa | Looking to walk it out? Take a stroll right on by the Hillsborough River.
- The Body Shop | 790 4th Ave. S., St. Petersburg | Balance your body with cupping, chiro, and manual therapy.
- Feeling extra committed? Check out our roundup of mental health activities and exercises here.
Take an improv class
- Spitfire Comedy House | 1920 1st Ave. S., St. Petersburg | One of the best ways to become intellectually quicker is to work on your improv skills. This store offers improv, sketch, stand-up classes, and workshops.
- The Box Theater | 2240 University Square Mall, Unit 374, Tampa | Think inside the box and work on your characters, teamwork skills, story building, and improv basics.
- Florida Studio Theater | 1241 North Palm Ave., Sarasota | This one’s a little outside of Tampa Bay — but the trek is worth it for the chuckles. This theater offers a million classes, from improv 101 to musical improvisation, comedy improv, and even directing courses. Plus, it’s taught by the masters.
- Trying to flex that funny bone some more? Check out last year’s roundup of our favorite open mic nights and comedy lessons.
Read more books
- St. Pete Library System | Seven different libraries, seven days a week. Can you handle all that knowledge? In 2023, the answer is yes.
- Hillsborough County Public Library Cooperation | You can get a library card for free online and fully engulf yourself in the classics and new releases today.
- Mojo Books & Records | 2554 E. Fowler Ave., Tampa | It’s undeniable that digital devices hold a place in our lives. But at Mojo, you’ll find a community of people who believe that a book is best read on paper and that the ultimate listening experience is found in a physical format. Plus, you can buy, sell, and trade your records, DVDs, and books.