Feliz Hispanic Heritage Month. The observance begins today and runs through Sat., Oct. 15 — spotlighting the histories, cultures, and contributions of Hispanic Americans with roots in Spain, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Central + South America. 🎊
You see, September 15 coincides with the date when five Latin American countries declared independence from Spain 1821 — Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, and Nicaragua. Mexican Independence Day is September 16, while Chile’s is September 18.
In the Tampa Bay area, Hispanic Heritage Month events will get rolling today + this weekend; here’s a sampling of the many fiestas around town.
- Water Street Market | Sunday, Sept. 17 | 10 a.m.-2 p.m. | Water Street | Free | This month’s market dives into Latin American cultures with food, performances, and art in honor of Hispanic Heritage Month.
- Hispanic Heritage Month Kickoff Mixer | Thursday, Sept. 21 | 7-9 p.m. | The Wepa House | $0-$20 | Wepa House owner & instructor Steph Delfino will lead a salsa class with a social mixer after.
- City of Tampa Hispanic Heritage Celebration | Wednesday, Sept. 27 | 11 a.m. | Tampa Theatre | Free | The Mayor’s Hispanic Heritage Committee hosts this event with food, performances, and guest speakers.
- Hispanic Heritage Month Panelist Event | Wednesday, Sept. 27 | 1-2 p.m. | Hillsborough Community College | Free | Listen to local Hispanic leaders as they share about the role their heritage has played in their personal and professional lives.
- Hispanic Heritage Celebration | Friday, Sept. 29 | 7-10 p.m. | Hilton Tampa Downtown | $15-$75 | Experience this Hispanic heritage cultural event with live music and performances, food, and art exhibits.
- Viva Tampa Bay 2023 | Sunday, Oct. 8 | 11 a.m.-9 p.m. | Perry Harvey Sr. Park | Free | This family-friendly arts and cultural festival will feature Latin foods, festivities, and local band performances dedicated to Hispanic heritage.
- Hispanic Heritage Luncheon | Thursday, Oct. 12 | 11:30 a.m.-1 p.m. | Columbia Restaurant | $35-$750 | Guest speakers Mayor Jane Castor and Brigadier General Hector Pagan will be at this TBLC event.
- 5th Annual Ford’s Taste of Latino | Sunday, Oct. 15 | 12-5 p.m. | Centennial Park | Free | Bring your own lawn chair and enjoy this event with live music and dance performances + the awards ceremony for the TOP Latino Chef Contest.
- Hispanic Heritage Month Celebration | Saturday, Sept. 23 | 11 a.m.-3 p.m. | Willis S. Johns Recreation Center | Free | The first 300 people in attendance will receive free food at this event — plus, enjoy inflatables, games, vendors, and music.
- The Cuban Sandwich: A history in layers | Thursday, Sept. 28 | 6-7 p.m. | The Dalí Museum | $5 | As part of the museum’s Hispanic Heritage Month programming, this class will include a Cuban sandwich tasting by Chef Chuck Bandel.
- Hispanic Heritage with Orilla | Thursday, Oct. 5 | 6-7 p.m. | The Dalí Museum | $5-$10 | Enjoy a live musical performance by Orilla featuring classic and contemporary Spanish songs.
- Fall Film Series: Hispanic Heritage Month Screening | Saturday, Oct. 14 | 8-10 p.m. | Warehouse Arts District Association | $15 | Watch a screening of 2016 film “Between Sea and Land” about a small Colombian fishing town.