Maybe you have some extra time on your hands, or maybe you’re just in the giving spirit. All we know is there are more than enough great causes in the Tampa Bay area to support with your time.
Whether you’re an animal lover, an artsy type, a natural mentor, or a healthcare enthusiast — there’s a volunteer opportunity near you. Here are 25 ways to get involved in TBAY:
If you love the outdoors
- Keep Pinellas Beautiful | Sign up for cleanups at spots like Clearwater Beach and the Intracoastal, take part in a garden workday, become an ambassador, or Adopt-a-Mile.
- Keep Tampa Bay Beautiful | Take part in the After Gasparilla Clean Up, Great Port Clean Up, or Hillsborough River Coastal Clean Up as a volunteer.
- Tampa Bay Estuary Program | Clean and restore parks in our area by removing exotic vegetation and creating living shorelines.
- Tampa Bay Watch | Build oyster reef balls, clean up fishing lines, or sign your high schooler up for a summer service program.
- Tampa Bay Waterkeeper | Become an outreach and education ambassador, help patrol water quality, and report pollution, and endangered wildlife.
Natural-born teachers and mentors
- First Tee Tampa Bay | Grow the game of golf and help introduce youngsters to the course with summer camp programs.
- Hero to a Child | Spend 10-15 hours a month caring for children in need in Pinellas County.
- We Care Family Connections | Help create safe and secure home environments for kids.
- YMCA of Greater St. Petersburg | Coach a team, tutor kids, or assist with events.
Support the vulnerable
- Crisis Center of Tampa Bay | Listen, support, and connect to people who could use a friend or community.
- IDEA Exchange | Reduce the spread of harmful diseases among the vulnerable by providing clean syringes in exchange for used ones.
- NAMI | Join the NAMI team and help families, friends, and individuals whose lives have been affected by mental illness.
- The Life Center of the Suncoast | Help with counseling, events, and grief support groups.
If you’re an animal lover
- Friends of Strays Animal Shelter | Sign up from Jan. 1, 2024 to volunteer at this shelter to care + find homes for its furry residents.
- SPCA Tampa Bay | Commit three hours per week to become an SPCA volunteer, after completing online registration requirements.
- The Humane Society of Tampa Bay | Assist as a volunteer with in-taking and handling animals, adoptions, animal education, and special events.
For the old souls
- Senior Connection Center | Provide a range of services to older adults including a helpline and Medicare assistance.
- Seniors in Service of Tampa Bay Inc. | Help adults aged 55+ find both in-person and remote volunteer opportunities in the local community.
For the handy individuals
- Habitat for Humanity Hillsborough County | Volunteer on one of the organization’s construction sites or in its ReStore.
- Habitat for Humanity Pinellas & West Pasco Counties | Help build a family’s forever home. First-time volunteers can also attend the Nuts & Bolts orientation class every first Thursday of the month.
Supporters of veterans
- 211 Tampa Bay | Find housing for vets, navigate child care and benefits programs, and provide health and wellness services.
- Tampa Hillsborough Homeless Initiative | Help make homelessness rare, brief, and non-recurring in Hillsborough County.
If you want to help your neighbors in need
- Home Makers of Hope | Volunteer for pickups, home visits, warehouse duties, or donate some of your household goods for families struggling with poverty.
- Meals on Wheels of Tampa | Drive delivery routes and provide your neighbors with a hot meal + positive interaction.
- St. Luke’s United Methodist Church | Bring dried goods or other foodstuffs to help keep your neighbors well-fed at the weekly Central Oak Park Church’s drive-thru food pantry.
City Guides are presented by Water Street Tampa.