The thing about hobbies is they’re just supposed to be fun (you don’t have to be good at them). Whether you’ve been a doodler for decades or just want a creative outlet, drawing is an excellent foray into the arts.
Dip your pen into the ink (or get your pencils sharpened) with these local classes:
- Have a hankering to get back into figure drawing? Every Saturday, you can stop by the Morean Arts Center in Downtown St. Pete to draw a model. Plus, the center offers classes like dynamic sketching, drawing continuum, and drawing and illustration for kids. Check out the listings.
- Sign up the kiddos for a private class + summer camp, or book a birthday party at South Tampa’s Happy Industries Art Studio. Kids will learn the foundational elements of drawing, like shadowing, highlighting, and blending, and try their hand at still lifes. Or book a party where instructors show a tutorial on creating figures like mermaids or animals.
- Looking for something a bit different? The Tampa Museum of Art offers classics like figure drawing courses and printmaking. But the cultural hub also leads workshops in nature and around the community (talk about being surrounded by inspiration).
- This one’s for the Da Vincis in training. The Dunedin Fine Art Center offers tons of drawing classes like Sumi-e (painting with ink), colored pencil, portraiture, and even a “learn how to draw in four hours” session. Browse the options.
- Maybe you’ve stopped by the Old Hyde Park Arts Center for an exhibition or gallery showing. But you can also take classes at the center from the talented Tampa Regional Artists. Sign up for a weekly beginning or intermediate drawing, short or long pose life drawing, or beginner pastels course.
What artsy classes are you looking for? Let us know.