Are you familiar with “hygge?” The Danish word roughly translates to “warm coziness” and has been a design and health + wellness trend in the US for a few years now. With an emphasis on “enjoying the little things” like comfy clothes, warm socks + blankets, and steamy mugs of tea, it’s easy to see its appeal. Pro tip: It’s pronounced “hoo-gah.”
Keeping that in mind, here are 23 ways to get hygge with it locally this year:
1. Enjoy a hot bevy. We love the maple + bourbon latte from Bandit Coffee Co. (2662 Central Ave, St. Petersburg) and the hot chocolate (with mocha) from Spaddy’s Coffee Co. (South Tampa + Seminole Heights).
2. Hit the road and revel in the lovely sights because we live in an outrageously gorgeous place.
3. Take a nice hot bath. Make it even better by tossing in a fragrant, therapeutic bath bomb from Beach Babe Soapery.
4. Light a candle. We particularly like the variety stocked at the Cabana South — from black tea and sage to pumpkin spice (and the pithy labels).
5. Live out your lavish lifestyle fantasy with a visit to a legendary circus owner’s former estate, the luxe Ringling Museum.
6. Cook something amazing, preferably something indulgent that takes a while to prepare, like soup, stew, or lasagna. Not sure where to start? Consider a cooking class from The AJ’s Kitchen Drawer.
7. Wear comfortable, non-restrictive clothing. We are especially fond of the offerings from Shoreline Sugars + Bijou’s Boutique.
8. Marvel at the majesty of nature when you catch a sunrise or sunset.
9. Take a nap. Hit up Villa Rosa Distinctive Linens for all your bedding needs.
10. Snuggle up with a locally-penned book. Need some recs? Check out our list of local books.
11. Have a picnic. And if you don’t want to prepare it yourself, let the folks at the Picnic Boys or the Curated Picnic Co. do the work for you.
12. Boost your health + happiness with a physical group outdoor activity, like paddleboarding through Urban Kai.
13. Get an art fix. Whether you want to saunter around The James Museum of Western & Wildlife Art or take in an exhibit from the Morean Arts Center, art is a powerful way to experience the slow-paced comfort of hygge.
14. Catch an indie flick from Green Light Cinema. Don’t forget the St. Pete Popcorn.
15. Admire our feathered friends at the tranquil Seaside Seabird Sanctuary.
16. Enjoy a meal at one of the city’s eateries with outdoor heaters like Salt Shack on the Bay or Pia’s Trattoria.
17. Meander through a used bookstore. Yes, we love our local independent booksellers that traffic in new titles, but there’s a sense of adventure at used bookstores, where you never know what you’ll find. We’re especially fond of Tombolo Books and Mojo Books & Records.
18. Share your love with a furry friend by volunteering at an animal shelter, like SPCA Tampa Bay or Pet Pal Animal Shelter.
19. Fuel up for winter with a savory soup at the Stone Soup Company or Oak & Stone.
20. Revel in the verdant goodness of plants at one of TBAY’s indoor plant shops. And bring some home while you’re at it.