Thursday, Aug. 17 is National Nonprofit Day, and we’re highlighting a few local orgs where you can spread the love — either by volunteering or donating.
Help the community:
- United Way Suncoast | This organization offers a variety of ways to give back, from financial coaching to monthly engagement opportunities.
- Keep Tampa Bay Beautiful | Take part in the nonprofit’s After Gasparilla Clean Up, Great Port Clean Up, or Hillsborough River Coastal Clean Up as a volunteer.
- Home Makers of Hope | This nonprofit provides essential household goods to families struggling with poverty. Volunteer for pickups, home visits, or warehouse duties + donate household goods to support the mission.
- Tampa Bay Estuary Program | The nonprofit hosts events ranging from removing exotic vegetation to creating living shorelines.
- The Humane Society of Tampa Bay | Humane Society volunteers can help with admin work and handling animals, the adoption process, education, special events, and more.
- Habitat for Humanity Pinellas & West Pasco Counties | Help build a family’s forever home. First-time volunteers can also attend the Nuts & Bolts orientation class every first Thursday of the month.
If you’re on a tight schedule:
- St. Luke’s United Methodist Church | Each week, the Central Oak Park Church hosts a drive-thru food pantry. Bring dried goods or other foodstuffs to help keep your neighbors well-fed.
- Tampa Hillsborough Homeless Initiative | Help make homelessness rare, brief, and non-recurring in Hillsborough County.
- Meals on Wheels of Tampa | Typical volunteer delivery routes take about an hour and provide one of your neighbors with a hot meal + positive interaction.
This is just scratching the surface of all the ways you can give back to our community. Check out 15+ more volunteer opportunities.